AWP 2013?


Being a commercial writer first and arriving in the literary world later, I found my first AWP conference very interesting. I'm often still surprised at the very different thinking that goes on in the literary world: attitudes about publishing and the publishing process, most notably.

On the train ride home, I started putting together some ideas for a panel. The ideas came from conversations I'd had with others, discussions from sessions I'd attended, and my own experience with publishing.

Here's what I came up with.


The Irony of the Internet:
Reevaluating and Redefining Creativity in the Digital Age

Description
The literary world is experiencing what the music industry has been for years: the good and bad of the digital age. Expanded audience access, revised distribution channels, and piracy are all created by the vast electronic world where we now read, write, and publish. This new world forces the exploration of new questions. What benefits and challenges exist? How can authors and publishers adapt? Is the irony of the internet that it simultaneously fuels and threatens creativity?

Statement of Merit
Do new and emerging technologies require a new view of creativity and the value of art? The experience of the music industry suggests the answer is yes. This panel will explore benefits and challenges of the digital age including how the internet and electronic media alter attitudes on creativity and the perceived value of artistic endeavors. 

Comments